The board will issue an apprentice license to any person in training for the vocation of ophthalmic dispenser, under the supervision of a licensed ophthalmic dispenser upon receipt of:
- An Application for Ophthalmic Dispenser License;
- Payment of the license fee; and,
- The sponsor's outline of the training schedule they propose to follow in training the apprentice, and an overview of the facilities located at their establishment. These facilities shall be sufficient to provide adequate training of an apprentice.
The apprentice license shall be valid for not more than one (1) year and shall expire on December 31 of the year in which it was issued.
An apprentice must notify the board if their employment with their sponsor is terminated, or the supervisory relationship with their sponsor no longer exists, within seven (7) days of termination.
Applications for renewal apprentice licenses must be made with the board prior to expiration of the current license. Renewal apprentice licenses may be issued by the board:
- Upon receipt of an Application for Apprentice Renewal;
- Upon payment of a renewal fee; and,
- Provision of adequate proof that at least four (4) hours of continuing education credits, approved by the board, during the previous twelve (12) months were obtained.
Licenses issued after August 1 shall be exempt from the continuing education requirement for renewal by December 31 of the same year.